Thursday, April 3, 2008

Family Fireside

What a week! Last Saturday night Ryan came up to take me out for my birthday. My surprise party was so great I didn't need anything more, but Ryan insisted. He ended up taking me to a delicious Mexican restaurant in Farr West called Bella's. I highly recommend the chicken taquitos, they were SO good! Afterward we stopped at my oldest bro's house, (Ryan and RaNae's) and had a nice quick visit with them. "My" Ryan (it's sometimes very confusing to have your brother and boyfriend share the same name!) ended up staying over at my house that night because we were going to my brother Ryan's ward in the morning. The next day we went to Hooper to see my bro speak. He was put in as 1st counselor in his ward. Afterwards he was set apart and my dad ordained my brother as a high priest. It was really neat to be there for that and my dad gave a really special blessing.

After that I had to rush back to my own ward for YW's, and Ryan headed home. This was my actual birthday and it was cute cause all the girls sang Happy Birthday to me. Later, on Sunday evening, my mom, Kellee, and I attended a fireside in our stake. Elder Jeffery R. Holland of the Twelve came to our stake center and spoke on the importance of families. What a privilege to have an apostle and his wife come and speak to us! One thing he said that was so poignant was that everything in this church, sooner or later, comes down to the family. Some other great things he said:

-The day we don't have time to pray or read our scriptures is the very day we need it most.

-This life is not home, it's a step along the way. Everything in this life is pointed toward the next.

-This earth life gives us the practice to be Godly. How much of what we love about the Savior was done in a church? It was done out where life was being lived. That is where the gospel is lived and how the Savior taught.

-We are kinder to the store clerk than our loved ones. It cannot be! We should have no contention one with another. Our hearts should be knit together in unity and love. You can't tear something apart this is knit together. It's unyielding.

Anyway, it was a really great fireside and I'm grateful I could be there. At the end, he gave us an assignment. He told us to find where we can be more Godly, whether it's in being more compassionate, forgiving, harmonious etc. Then he blessed us if we would, we'd see miracles in our lives and in our families. It was such a great night! I wish Ryan could have been there!


The next day I got to go watch baby Tayson. My sister-in-law Melissa is graduating next month with her RN. She has class for just a couple hours on Monday's, she has also had to precept at the hospital where she basically works for free. Before you can graduate you have to put in so many hours shadowing another nurse. Anyway, it's been great that I can help out and watch the baby. He is such a sweet, happy baby and I love getting to spend the extra time with him!

7 comments:

Celeste M. Amazing said...

Aww very cool post.
I love that you would write about the fireside.
I had so much fun last night too.
I will really miss Amy, but I love the idea of a new adventure.

Maybe our boys will have something in common. I mean their both already tall. :)

Jones Family said...

Wasn't that fireside amazing?..I wish I would have taken notes..I'm glad you posted all that so I could read and be reminded of what he said. It sounds like your family is doing good, glad to hear. I love you fishers!

Brian and Amber said...

Krista!! Hey girl! I love your blog! That Mexican restaurant sounds soo good...I'm gonna have to eat there before I go!

Ashley said...

Oh that's so cool that Elder Holland spoke at a fireside for your stake. I love that man. He truly is inspired! Those are some great quotes. Thanks for sharing :)

audri jo said...

I love the new look of your blog :) If you are ever looking for more ideas, I have a few links on my sidebar. If you're into digiscrapping shabbyprincess.com has tons of paper you can download for free!

Stephanie Behling said...

Oh my gosh, I know what you mean. My brother and husband are both Justins. We get through it somehow, though.

Marisa said...

I can't read your blog, the words are too light!