Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Little of this and that!

For the past three weeks I've been working a lot of overtime. I've been working down at LDS Hospital in the Maternal Fetal Medicine Department (my old job) twice a week. It's nice because anything I work over 40 hours, I get paid time and a half. I've been trying to save up as much money as I can since I've lately been on a big Dave Ramsey kick! For those of you who haven't heard of him, he is a financial guru who has had several books on the New York Times best seller list. He also does a radio program on 570AM every night from 7-10. I may be a nerd, but I love listening to his show! He is a Christian guy who believes it is important to not only save, but to give (as in tithing). The biggest points he tries to make are, get debt-free, don't use credit cards, and don't finance anything. During a portion of his show, he has people call in who have used his program and have become debt-free. They count down from three and yell, "We're debt free!" It sounds pretty cheesy, but it's actually really inspiring and I always get choked up because you can tell how "free" these people have become. Anyway, I've been following his plan for a few months and have become slightly obsessed. I'm completely debt-free and have saved over three months worth of income, on top of paying the maximum on my 401K. Another bonus, he's funny and has a cute southern accent. HA!
In other news, my brother Jed and his wife Hollie just bought a new house. They moved back here to Utah from Las Vegas almost two years ago and still have been unable to sell their house down there. Imagine paying a mortgage (a big one, too!) on a house you haven't lived in for almost two years! The market in Vegas is terrible and I guess there are hundreds of empty homes down there. BUT, at least they finally were able to get some renters, which has enabled them to get a home here. On Wednesday, the entire fam came together again to help them move in all their stuff. Ryan and I were also there tonight putting on doors and doorknobs. We also got to hang with Becky and Caleb for a little bit too! Becky is Hollie's sister and her husband Caleb looks rather similiar to Ryan. She must have good taste! Anyway, I'm really happy for Jed and Hollie, and my adorable niece Brookie!

This is what happened to Brooke the last time she spent the day with Aunt Becky. She was goin to town on that ice cream!

6 comments:

Carrie and Jeff said...

That is so awesome that you are debt-free! I'm jealous. I think Jeff and I should read one of these books by this Dave Ramsey guy. Jeff actually likes to read those kind of books. That would really be crummy to have a house in vegas that you can't sell. I have a friend from high school that is in the exact situation. They live here, but they have a house in vegas that they can't sell. You guys were nice to help them move in.

Brian and Amber said...

Congrats on being debt free!! I miss you!!

Nancy said...

The whole debt-free thing is my goal for this year. I'm doing pretty well with it. I have my car paid off and am working on the credit cards. It will be much easier now that I will be working full time again. YAY! The job is going great! I'm loving it! My new schedule will start a week from Sunday. 9-7:30. YAY! I'm psyched! Anyhoo. Miss ya! I feel like we haven't talked all month!

Melissa said...

Debt free! Way to go Krust! You should call into the show and do the "yell." We love Dave Ramsey too. His plan is so simple and so rewarding. I'm proud of you girl!

Nikki A. said...

Girl, I'm so proud of you!! I too have been working on it. It's such a burden and every time I get rid of something I feel such a woo hoo all over :)

I'm blown away by your 3 months salary thing. That is so fetching awesome!! When Alif was out of work, our bishop told us that along with our year supply of food, we need to have a year supply of savings to have whenever times get tough or disaster comes. It sounded impossible to me, but you've made it sound possible. Wow, look at you inspiring others Krista "Ramsey", lol.

Keep up the great work :) Love ya!

audri jo said...

Wow, that's incredible! I'm seriously impressed! I've never heard of Dave Ramsey, but thanks for the link to his site I'm going to check it out. You should be so proud of yourself!

Since we don't have Kaye Starr until after Labor Day lets plan a time to get together...what do you think?